Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

The Perfect 6" White Cake


My two year old calls cake “Birthday Party”.  I think that’s the cutest thing I’ve ever heard, but then just about every other thing she says is cute to me. HA! So I made her a “Birthday Party” and we sang to her lambie and she blew out the candle.  


I hit the mean streets of Pinterest for the perfect 6” white cake and I couldn’t decide which one to use so I combined a few recipes and I think I have a winner here. 

The frosting I swear is the best cake frosting I’ve ever made. It’s a combination of milk, flour and granulated sugar. Sounded weird to me but I will ONLY make this type of frosting for now on. 

Now, without further ado I present to you..... BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!  
 



White Cake

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 egg whites, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 6-inch round cake pan with butter and flour, then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk, mixing well and scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition. Pour the batter in your prepared baking pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before removing cakes from pans to cool completely.


Frosting!

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup butter (room temperature)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (not powdered sugar)

In a medium saucepan, whisk one cup of milk with 5 tablespoons of flour. Heat over medium until the mixture begins to sputter, whisking constantly. Continue to stir as the mixture thickens. It should be as thick as cake batter. Once thickened stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and set aside to cool COMPLETELY.

Now, in your stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat 1 cup of butter  with 1 cup of granulated sugar until light, fluffy, and white in color, about 3 solid minutes of beating on medium-high speed. You want the sugar to be totally incorporated into the butter. Then add the cooled milk/flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture. Beat for about 1 minute on high speed, scraping down the bowl halfway, until they are smooth and well blended. Your frosting will be light and fluffy as whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment